Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Jazzin' it up at Jarasum

Cramped and confined by the concrete I call home, I crave comfort from vast, unindustrialized land.  Particularly in Korea where mountains high five soaring apartment buildings, to interact with land free of screeching horns and flashing “HOF” (bar) signs is a rarity these days.  This landscape explains much about the character of Koreans, and juxtaposed to the vastness of America, landscape also sheds light on American culture.  I, along with many Americans, value our self-constructed concepts of privacy and space.  From the trivial size of a pillow and having to leave my door propped open to the living room, to the more complex matters of the mind, where I tread shallow waters daily, speaking painfully clear and concise to achieve even the simplest of meaning, I find myself craving space.  Maybe it’s freedom, maybe it’s just simply homesickness—however I label it, it’s damn persistent. 

Although this problem presents itself physically, it manifests mentally.  And ironically, often the remedy is physical.  Throw music in there and you’ve the concoction for a mighty, giant dose of jivin’ endorphins. 

The Jarasum International Jazz Festival is held annually in Gapyeong, South Korea.  2010 marks its seventh successful year.  The festival is a three-day event, wherein you can buy a three-day pass or opt for pricier daily passes.  There is also camping available.  Had I prepared better, I would have camped.  The campsites were located right smack in the midst of the action, so literally, you wouldn’t miss a beat. 

Transportation is fairly simple.  I traveled by train from Cheongnyangi subway station (Line 1).  However, I’d advise pre-purchasing train tickets as they were nearly sold out and my traveling partner had to stand.  Otherwise, it’s a smooth ride and you’re instantly greeted with a detailed map of the concert stages, along with times and acts.  Although tickets to the festival sold out prior to our arrival, there are multiple stages with free performances.  Bring a blanket, grab a bottle of wine (7-11 mini stand located inside with reasonable prices), and let the music take hold.  As the sun sprawled across the mountains, the groovin’ began.  Little girls spun their frilly bottoms as the whimsical women took to their feet.  I couldn’t find the energy to sit down, either, I’ll admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment