Monday, March 21, 2011

Burr: Bare Hand Fishing in South Korea

http://koreabridge.net/post/destination-hwacheon-sancheoneo-ice-festival-2010

So, I know I have been MIA for quite some time.  Too much time, I imagine.  Winter in Korea blew my writing spirit away.  The temperature of my homestay necessitated gloves, a Northface fleece, Under Armor, and two pairs of socks.  I wish I was kidding.  But, that’s how it goes.  On the contrary, I visited some marvelous places in Southeast Asia.  Someday I will even tell you about those.

As for now, I wanted to share my weekend experience.  For once, I did something I am proud of in Korea. I caught a fish with my bare hands in freezing-holy,godD*amnit-je*suschrist-cold water. Although the Hwacheon Sancheoneo (Mount Trout) Festival was cancelled due to the Foot and Mouth Disease (disease killing many cows in Korea), one could still participate in the annual bare hand trout fishing event.  Paying \12,000 (about $11.50) for the opportunity to catch up to three fish was a fine investment.  I wish I could brag more, though.  The water stunned my motor skills, enhancing my clumsiness with robotic movements.  Oh well, I still got to eat my fish after the three minutes was up.  Don’t make a face.  It was cooked.  Delicious and salty, it came out sizzling from a giant kiln.  I want more!

I promise pictures soon.  I also highly recommend this.  Major endorphin-enhancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment