** Hiking in South Korea is intense. These are my conclusions:
- I’ve encountered zero switchbacks. Thus, trails consist of escalating lodged rocks. There is little light at the end of the tunnel.
- Rock steps appear at a 90-degree angle from the base.
- Korean hikers, as they are for every other occasion, are exceptionally well dressed. Outfits are neon and sharp. They also cover almost every inch of the body. Sun protection is critical here.
- There are hikers, GOOD hikers, of all ages.
- They drink soju at the summit. (Okay, that’s not too bad of a gig).
** Hiking at Songnisan National Park (san=mountain)
- Name refers to “Remote from Ordinary World”
- Some background compliments of Wikipedia: Beopjusa (법주사), initially constructed in 553, is a head temple of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism situated on the slopes of Songnisan in Naesongni-myeon, Boeun County, in the province of Chungcheongbuk-do, South Korea. Golden Maitreya Statue of National Unification at Beopjusa is a 33-meter-high, 160-ton Buddha covered in 80kg of gold leaf erected in 1990 at a cost of $4 million. Yes, you read that right; there is a giant Buddha in the middle of the mountains covered in gold. Hmm…
- The mountain's highest peak is Cheonhwangbong, at 1,058.4 m. I made it there! Great hike, except my tush was so sore I slept through my alarm the next day, which besides almost making me late to my Korean test, it also took away from my study time. I failed. My legs felt like bricks the whole day. I wasn’t too friendly.
** Our trial lessons at the English Camp finished last week. These Korean students ranging from 5th to 10th grade were absolutely brilliant. We were spoiled in comparison to the actuality of our students. I taught 3 lessons: Learning Pop Culture through Fortune Tellers (recall Elementary school days of asking students their favorite color and number to extract who their crush was on those origami-shaped paper fortune tellers); Writing Realistic Dialogue; and Social Studies lesson on MLK where students devised their own versions of “I Have a Dream.” Each lesson got subsequently better. Our role is to teach conversational English. And to be quite frank, we are supposed to do so in an “entertaining” way—rather than following a strict objective format. This is quite different than I anticipated given the Korean style of rote learning. More on teaching later, though.
** I ate "PahtBingSu"—see attachment for picture.
http://www.kokoliving.com/women/2010/07/korean-shaved-ice-desert-pahtbingsu.html
- While walking back from Goesan, the small gritty town where I currently reside, my friends and I encountered a group of young Korean children frolicking in the murky water under the bridge. Sweaty and without supervision, these children ran up to us. Upon finding out our nationality, they started chanting “MeGuks!”—or Americans.
- What followed was amusing and slightly scary. They immediately attacked my tall, attractive male friend, flicking his head, yanking at this arm hair, and even trying to push him off the guardrail.
- In the next five minutes, we were flicked off, swore at, and given the “shocker” (hand gesture—if you don’t know what it means, google it and brace yourself).
- Mind you, the oldest kid in this gang of Korean monsters couldn’t be older than ten (American age, that is—In Korea, a newborn is accredited one year of life) and they live in a rural, inland city—where students have far less experience with English than those in metropolitan areas.
- Needless to say, my face was pained from laughter.
** I practiced archery from Coach Kim's training center. This location is the training center for South Korea's 2008 Olympic-winning team! What a rush! By the end of 4 rounds (6-7 arrows each), I finally got two bulls-eyes. Oh yeah, baby.
** I SUCCESSFULLY navigated my first travel experience this past weekend in Chenogju, South Korea.
- Staying in a small, but exceptionally clean/non-sketchy motel, myself and two other girls explored this nearby “suburb” (suburbs are constituted by population and are not what American conceive of suburbs as in they sit on the outskirts of a larger city). This city has a population of nearly 600,000 people.
- I got to eat American food! After rice, soup, and kimchi for every single meal, I was thrilled to dine at “Pizza Hut.” I never thought I’d see this day come. Sigh.
- We explored Chungpuk National University area. Not for academics, but for the nightlife.
- From recommendation of past ETAs and my “Lonely Planet” travel guide, we ventured to a small bar called “Pearl Jam.” No Koreans heard of it as we asked approximately 7 people for directions along the way. This s because it’s the hotspot for foreigners—English teachers—Canadians, Australians, and Brits tossed back 2000 won shots at happy hour (11-12 PM).
- Everything is open late in Korea. Boutiques were still buzzing before I had my first drink at 11:30 pm. Good thing too because I got to raid the goodies at “Paris Baguette” at 1:40 PM. Chaa-ching. Success!
- Lastly, we went to the gook jang (movie theater). “Inception” was a dynamite selection for their state-of-the-art theaters. For 8,000 won, we were assigned a seat in a mammouth theater—and not just any seat, an overstuffed, reclining velour Lazyboyesque that is—with 12 inch armrests on either side to ensure that BOTH people could rest their arms. Also, there are aisles—people don’t have to trip over others to make a quick qwayjanshel (bathroom) break.
- Also, my Korean friend told me there are “love theaters.” Yes, couple seats with cubby hole-like quarters. He also said blankets are supplied. Ahh, yes.
** What I do in my free time:
- Watch TV on my beautiful new MacBook (thank you, Mom and Dad—she is treating me well here). I am currently on season three of my new addiction, HBO’s “The Wire.” Yes, I am little behind but I need some form of catharsis after four hours of Korean language study a day.
- Study Korean. We have to pass our class to fulfill requirements of our grant.
- Ponder writing in my blog. Emphasis on “ponder.”
- Pinch myself. I need to remind myself I am in the middle of South Korea.
- Practice “Insa”—the formal introduction that includes bowing and saying the proper form of “Hello.” I have to put it to use very soon—as I will be meeting my principal and co-teacher very shortly. Not too mention, my host family! Yikes.
- Countdown the days until Peter comes to see me.
- Skype.
- Hang out on the “Veranda”—the “chill” spot here. Sort of. Since our halls are segregated, there are few places both sexes can congregate comfortably. This is one of them.
- Miss all of you!
** What to look forward to:
- PLACEMENT! I find out in two days where I will be placed for the entire year. In addition, I will know what type of school (middle or high school);, age of students, level of students, gender, and size of school where I will be teaching. There will be a formal ceremony where we get “pinned” in front of a very influential crowd. Pinning means we put a marker on a giant map where we will be located in South Korea. Keep your fingers crossed for a good placement!
- More information about Korean culture as we are participating in Korean culture workshops for the next two weeks.
love the pic, and the sandals! <3
ReplyDelete